Thursday, September 30, 2010

09/30/10




Cinnamon Cactus (Opuntia microdasys var. rufida)

I saw this Opuntia in the window and I just had to have him! Actually, I decided he was too expensive so I left without him. I couldn't get him out of my head so I returned the next day just to look at him. To my horror, he was gone! I asked about him and nobody knew anything about him. It finally dawned on a sales person that he might be in the half price pile in the back. I walked back to check and there he was. They had thrown him on the ground like last night's dinner. I felt so sorry for him I decided it was my lot in life to come to his rescue. I picked him up paid for him and took him home. Little did I know that he must have been happier laying on the ground in a heap because he stuck his little needles in me from head to toe. Those pretty little cinnamon colored polka dots were weapons in disguise! After I soaked in a hot tub to remove those little instruments of pain, all was forgiven andI'm happy I adopted him. He seems to be adjusting to his new home fine, and he's even made best friends with a near by Salvia. They not only enjoy each other's company but they compliment each other well, don't you think?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bursting with life and again, the colors are gorgeous.

Nic said...

Those pictures are great! The combination of the red salvia and the opuntia looks wonderful.